How about this for product marketing? This video has been around for a while and the game – Pie Face – has spawned many other videos but there is something about this particular video that really works.
As I watched it I felt the anticipation that the player was feeling (the game randomly splats you when you turn the handle) I also expected the adult to get the cream in the face first. so, the fact the child got splatted first was surprising but what makes the video is the reaction of the adult, which is unexpected.
His reaction is hilarious and his laughter is contagious – and takes a long time to stop!
This is a great example of the power of user generated content to market your product. And it has some important ingredients:
- Video (highly personal medium and shareable)
- Characters – contrast of young and old (we identify and connect with them)
- Fun (humans like a laugh, and we like to share something funny)
- Anticipation (emotional connection)
- Surprise (what every great story has)
Finally, it helps the game is so simple and is based on splatting people with cream. What’s not to like about that?