Liked this piece on overuse of Powerpoint by trainers on Personnel Today. I particularly liked the quiz, which I have lifted (thanks, Personnel Today).
Q&A: Are you state-of-the art or state of the ark?
1. The night before a training session, do you:
a) Stay up late photocopying hand-out sheets?
b) Relax in the knowledge that all your information is uploaded onto your interactive whiteboard?
2. You've been asked to organise a pan-European training event at short notice. Do you:
a) Start furiously ringing around hotels and airlines?
b) Send out an e-mail invite to all delegates to join a web conferencing training event next week?
3. You want to show delegates the best way to deal with customers. Do you:
a) Call delegates out in front of the group and embarrass them?
b) Run a short home-made video that perfectly demonstrates your point?
4. You want to make your PowerPoint presentation stand-out. Do you:
a) Paste in some clip art images?
b) Search an online photo archive and pay a small fee for some high-quality pictures?
- Mostly As: Your old-school approach is creating a lot of work and affecting the quality of your training. It's time to join the modern world.
- Mostly Bs: You are an avant-garde trainer who is making technology work for you – keep up the good work.